Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Drought Stress


Labyrinth Location: Outer border arc, 9 to 10 o'clock or so
Vegetable: Beets
Seed/Transplant Date: May 22?
Soil Preparation: Not enough. Rather grassy yet.

I never think of watering these. I pay more attention to the small seedlings of later planted things, and the tomatoes. But they wilted yesterday, and even after a good dousing, they don't look quite themselves yet. My record keeping is a little erratic, but I think it's been almost two weeks since we had any significant rain.

Mulching seems to help a lot, and I'm trying to get more done, but my supply of clippings has nearly dried up. The lawn is growing very slowly, in the shade; out in the sun, it isn't growing at all, except where I moved sod this spring. Strange - I haven't given it any special attention, but it seems to be the most lush grass of all.

2 comments:

Rurality said...

We're having a bit of a drought here too. It rains all around, but keeps missing us.

Madcap said...

We got a little burst today, after two weeks of high twenties, low thirties weather. It didn't last long enough to really get anything significantly wet. The weather office is saying we can expect a proper rain sometime in the next few days, and I hope they're right. I hope you get it too.

I watered my beets yesterday, and by this morning they were looking like they had a bit of heart in them again. Hopefully yours will be all in their places with bright shiny faces when you go to visit them tomorrow.