Tuesday, June 27, 2006

By Request . . .


. . . a closer-up picture of purslane (portulaca). Breathe deeply now - there's no need to send the weed inspector. This is part of our crop.

Here's a closer look at the flower, with an unfortunate blur/flare just where you'd like to see some detail.


Notice the fleshy leaves. The mucilaginous quality of this plant is said to make it a very good addition to soups and stews.

Here's one more close-up, of a plant that hasn't developed into a mat yet. You can see the way it branches out along the surface of the soil.

4 comments:

Madcap said...

I have a lot of different weeds, but I don't recognize this one. I wonder if it a southerly one that we don't get here. But thanks for the close-up.

arcolaura said...

Wow! A garden without portulaca! I didn't know there was such a thing, although for a few days, I thought I might have achieved it myself.

I'd be surprised if it's a southern-ness thing. I think with the way the climate bends north across the prairies to the west, your climate is probably much the same as ours. Although I suppose you do have more bush.

Madcap said...

And hills. Don't forget the hills. ;-)

I'll be on the lookout for the portulaca, but it doesn't look familiar, and I am running a weed sanctuary here. Maybe I should import some.

arcolaura said...

Hills. That reminds me, gotta get out to the hills and take some pictures. The wildflowers are glorious, blurred riots of colour in the ditch as I race by once in a very long while to visit Mom and Dad.