Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Well, Pumpkins?


Labyrinth Location: 2nd yang-dot arc, 4 to 5 o'clock
Vegetable: Pumpkins
Seed/Transplant Date: June 5 or so?
Soil Preparation: Rototilled lawn, with some of the grass rhizomes pulled out, and hills made with a shovel-full of well-rotted manure under each.

I'm wondering if these pumpkins are well enough along to produce this year. I don't think I've ever grown a winter squash, of any kind, so it's very hard for me to judge. I think most people around here start their winter squashes indoors. That was my plan, too, but by the time it was indoor planting time for squashes, I was so discouraged with my other seedlings, I just didn't bother.

There are two hills of pumpkins in the picture, one directly behind the other, with a little patch of peas in between. We got tired of planting peas in the pea patch, and we had quite a bunch of them soaked and ready, so Garth took the extras and broadcast them on this new section of the garden. At that time, I wasn't sure if I'd be planting anything here, or just keeping it fallow to kill the grass. He raked them in a bit, but I could see a lot of them just sitting on top of the ground. Amazingly, nothing seemed to eat them. I found one that sprouted and grew, right out on the surface of the soil. Now I'm just letting them grow, as long as they don't crowd the squashes.

Here's the same piece of ground, from a slightly different angle, on June 14th. The near hill from the above picture is just right of centre in this one, with the second hill near the top left (in the not-yet-mulched area).

2 comments:

Jim said...

Laura-

I just discovered The Daily Bed blog and went back to your first post working my way up.

Your Labyrinth Garden is an inspired motivational delight.

I've long wanted to redesign our food garden into a Native American Medicine Wheel pattern and you've just rekindled that flame for me.

I really love what you're doing there, and the whole idea of a garden as a meditational/spiritual place.

arcolaura said...

Thanks Jim! I did it just for the sheer delight of it, but I have been surprised by the interest from others. I love the medicine wheel idea. There is a big medicine wheel on a butte near here. Sadly, I hear that the pattern is gradually fading as people take stones as souvenirs. I was up there once as a young child. Nowadays the land is owned by the Pheasant Rump Band, and to see the medicine wheel you have to go on a guided tour on horseback. I hope they are having some success at protecting it.