Thursday, June 29, 2006

The South Squash

June 28th photo

Labyrinth Location: Outer border arc, 12 o'clock
Vegetable: A winter squash
Seed/Transplant Date: June 5 or so
Soil Preparation: Rototilled lawn, with some grass rhizomes pulled out, and hills made with a shovelful of manure underneath

Okay, I admit it - I don't know what I planted here. I think it was either butternut or acorn squash. I'm calling them the south squash, until they show some evidence of their identity, but I'm not sure they'll get around to that. Here we are right around the solstice, and the shade above was just after noon. They've been coping with some grass pressure, too.

June 14th photo

Grass is edible, eh?

But not very nourishing for a human, and not very good for nearby garden plants, either, I'm thinking. My impression is that some weeds can actually benefit the vegetables by loosening soil and bringing nutrients up from deeper levels, but grass doesn't help that way.

No comments: