Saturday, June 24, 2006

Just Spinach


Labyrinth Location: 2nd yin-dot arc, 11 o'clock
Vegetable: Spinach
Seed/Transplant Date: May 23 (?)
Soil Preparation: Existing garden, rototilled with well-rotted manure tilled in

Freshly mulched with grass clippings from the collecting basket on the reel-type mower. I've let the lawn get too long again, so I'll have to switch to the gas mower for the rest of it . . . sigh . . . but I'm always learning. I noticed that it really doesn't take much gas to do the whole yard, and yet it saves a rather large amount of effort. It boggles my mind to think of how much energy I use up with every gallon of gas. It's far more precious stuff than its price would indicate.

Maybe it's time to learn to sharpen the scythe, and swing it just right. When I was a teenager, I could swing it well enough to mow down a waist-high tangle of weeds and poplar suckers, but I'm thinking it would take a little more skill to mow just an inch or two off the lawn. And then I'd have to rake it, too. Maybe it's time to learn some discipline and use the reel-type mower a little more often.

No comments: