Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Even More Patience than Parsnips


Labyrinth Location: 3rd border arc, 10 o'clock
Vegetable: Parsley
Seed/Transplant Date: May 25 or so?
Soil Preparation: Existing garden, rototilled with well-rotted manure tilled in.

Looks like an empty bed, doesn't it? The only things that look like rows are the borders of weeds?

But they're there - I found them peeking out from under the shepherd's-purse umbrellas just the other day.


I don't quite remember when I planted them. I think it was just a few days after my main planting spree. I remember that I left them to soak and forgot about them, so instead of a 24-hour soak it was more like 48. But they still seemed alive to me; in fact, they seemed on the verge of sprouting, so I was optimistic about a fast start. Then as the weeks went by, I wondered if I'd killed them. But I guess they're just very slow.

2 comments:

grannyfiddler said...

everything i've read says "parsley is extremely easy to grow" ...but i've never had much success with it.

...except once, when i striated the seed by rubbing it a bit between two sheets of sandpaper.

Madcap said...

Hey, speaking of parsley... mine finally showed up, two months after I planted it! I only got about 50% germination, but last year I had a grand total of 0, so that's quite an improvement. Pretty darn slow germination though. I'd given up on it entirely.