Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Cleaning Up the Carrots


Labyrinth Location: 2nd yin-dot arc, 10 o'clock
Vegetable: Carrots
Seed/Transplant Date: May 22 (?) - Danvers and Touchon; June 8 (?) - Nantes replanted.
Soil Preparation: Existing garden, rototilled with well-rotted manure tilled in.

I'm sure glad I decided to try several varieties of carrots, instead of relying on my large store of leftover Nantes seed of uncertain age. The old seed was a total failure, so I replanted with a packet of Nantes from the grocery store. We'll see how well they catch up.

Like many beds, I planted this one with a fairly close row spacing, planning to mulch to control weeds. Until I get that mulching done, I have some finicky weeding to do between the rows. One of my favourite garden tools so far, during this wide-bed experiment, is this one.

It's marketed as a crack weeder, but I use it as a miniature hoe.




The replanted Nantes carrots are up.



And here is how the carrot beds looked five days ago.


2 comments:

Madcap said...

I'm trying to get a sense of scale. How big is your lot? In the pictures it looks like you've got quite a lot of land.

arcolaura said...

Well, I'm actually not quite sure where the borders are, especially out the south end towards the brick ponds. People mow a lot more than they own out that way.

It is a double lot, and my guess would be that a regular lot in this part of town is 50' by 150'. So our double lot would be about one-third of an acre, if I'm figuring correctly. A fair bit of it is taken up by the driveway loop and the double garage. Then there's all the shade from the ash and Manitoba maple trees down each side of the property. Mom wants to try tapping the maples.